My little girl decided to go as a witch this Halloween. She sees me making books for Istria Design all the time, and she asked if I could make a Spell book to go with her costume. Of course, I couldn't resist her requested, so here is what we came up with. We had so much fun that we decided to make two. If you would like to make some of these yourself, here is how to do it. It is pretty simple and it won't break the bank.
YOU WILL NEED:
- A hardcover journal or sketchbook. I got this one from Walmart for less than $6.
- Plastic Halloween creatures for $1 from the Dollar Store.
- Glue gun and a couple of glue sticks. If you are a crafter you probably have this at home already.
- Black spray paint that sticks to plastic. You can get these from pretty much any craft store.
- Regular gold paint. I used spray paint for this part as well because that's what I had at hand.
- Paint brush or sponge.
HOW TO DO IT:
- Heat up the glue gun, and glue the creatures onto the cover.
- With your glue gun, write the word "Spells" at the top of the cover. Don't worry if it gets a little messy. I promise you will love the end result.
- Wait a little bit for the glue to dry, then spray paint the entire cover with black paint. This was my favorite part, I love to get messy.
- Leave the book to dry 1-2 hours. Once it's completely dry, dip your brush or sponge in gold paint, and add paint over the letters, creatures and around the edges of the cover. Let it dry again.
And that's it! You've made your own antique looking spooky Spell book.
Don't forget to share your pictures with us on Instagram. Use hashtag @istriadesign, so we can feature your photos.
Happy Halloween & happy creating,